The Shortcuts App from Apple has now more Siri support and with some requirements it is possible to ask Siri about your glucose level. Shortcuts can automate workflows and has access to apple services and other apps. These Shortcuts can be started via Siri, App or Widget.
- iPhone with iOS12
- Shortcuts App
- Spike-App (connected with an CGM / If you are using a Freestyle Libre read this post)
- Shortcut for the Shortcuts App
- To access Siri an iPhone with iOS 12 or higher needs to be intalled. If Shortcuts is not installed it can be downloaded from the App-Store: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/workflow/id915249334?mt=8
- The Spike App can’t be downloaded from the App-Store. It only possible to install it via E-Mail invitation from this Website-> https://spike-app.com/#installation
- In Spike the HTTP Server needs to be enabled. This can be found at Settings / Integration. Now the Glucose readings are available at a local Server that is running on the phone.
- The Shortcuts can access that server. Download this Shortcut
Download: English mg/dL
Download: English mmol/L
Download: German mg/dL
- To start the Shortcut with a custom command, go to the Shortcut settings and edit the Siri-Phrase
Now the shortcut is available via Apple Watch or Hey Siri. This is quite interesting for special situations where you can’t access your phone. For example, under the Shower / while taking a bath or at night.